WOD: figurative (adj) of speech, not literal; Her hair was like snow, soft, light and nearly weightless is an example of figurative language.
QW: Write a letter that your grandchildren will open in 50 years telling them what the world is like today.
Biography check in #1 due in basket
Maya Angelou excerpt from I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings in Prentice Hall textbook. Popcorn, class read aloud and discuss. Notice Angelou's use of figurative language:
"I sopped around the house, like an old biscuit, dirty and inedible... Then I got to know the lady who threw me my first lifeline."
More on Maya Angelou http://www.mayaangelou.com/ShortBio.html
"Words mean more than what is set down on paper.
It takes the human voice to infuse them with the shades of deeper meaning."
-- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Do Q&A at end, individually. Finish in class on Weds.
HW: IOA paragraphs due Weds., use essay style format.